A hot dog eating contest at the Route 66 Summerfest in Rolla, MO was terminated yesterday after an entrant needed emergency medical attention. The fate of the competitor is currently unknown. update The Rolla Daily News facebook reports that he is currently at Barnes Hospital in St. Louis and listed in stable condition. (via Greg comment)


  1. anonymous said

    June 4, 2017 @ 11:39 pm

    Fucking amatuer shit putting lives in danger. Only MLE is safe, you dumb walruses.

  2. Walrus life said

    June 5, 2017 @ 12:23 am

    We walruses eat at home because we can buy a ton of garbage food and drown in our sorrows without an audience.

  3. anonymous said

    June 5, 2017 @ 12:23 am

    From the article:

    “The only blight of the day came sadly when a contestant that had entered the hot dog eating contest fell ill and required emergency medical treatment. RDN contacted the Rolla Police Department to get an update on the condition of the contestant, but was told no information was available at this time. Some of the contestants had downed five hot dogs at the time of the incident, so it was early into the competition. The event was understandably cancelled.”

  4. Not Party Time said

    June 5, 2017 @ 4:53 am

    Perhaps MLE should take the lead and stop competitive eating events altogether.

    1. It’s unsafe
    2. It’s socially irresponsible.
    3. It is fun only for the top 10 eaters.
    4. It’s unhealthy.
    5. It’s costly, except for maybe the top three finishers.

    If it’s not glamorized from the top, MLE, lives can be saved.

  5. anonymous said

    June 5, 2017 @ 8:38 am

    Not party time its like selling drugs. As long as you dont get caught they will keep doing it while the dough rolls in. In CE as long as nobody drops dead they will keep doing it

  6. Greg said

    June 5, 2017 @ 10:47 am

    Update on Summerfest facebook page:

  7. anonymous said

    June 6, 2017 @ 4:01 pm

    People: the post above said he only fell and needed emergency medical attention. That could simply mean he fainted from the heat or started feeling dizzy or had a panic attack from being on stage. It doesn’t mean he choked.

  8. Don't Stop the Paaaartay said

    June 6, 2017 @ 5:19 pm

    To address the “Not Party Time” guy/gal above:

    Competitive Eating is considerably unsafe if you don’t know what you’re doing. Sure, there are risks, but there are risks in most things in life. If you drive a car, you’re putting yourself at more risk, every day, than do eaters.

    And OJ probably documented every eating fatality, so here are the deaths that took place in American contests over the last ten years. There are five from 2007 to the present according to EF:

    2007 California: Woman dies of water intoxication after a pee-holding contest, in which she drank “nearly two gallons in over three hours.”

    2010 California: 13 year old child chokes on a hot dog topped with whipped cream at The Boys and Girls Club.

    2012 Florida: Man dies after a bug eating contest to win a snake.

    2016 New Mexico: Intoxicated woman chokes after giving a blow job to a corn dog. True story.

    The deceased’s family is “suing [the club] and others connected to the property, and its liquor license, in a complaint for wrongful death.” They claim that the property “served her too much alcohol” before she competed at the club’s contest where female contestants got on their knees in front of males who were holding corn dogs near their groin area.”

    2017 Connecticut: University student dies three days after a Greek Week pancake eating contest.

    These are all very sad losses. They just shouldn’t have been competing or even allowed to compete in the first place. The B&G Club shouldn’t have held a kids’ contest. The radio station didn’t have the common sense to know that water poisoning is harmful, and they didn’t take two seconds to Google it.

    Conspicuously absent from the list? MLE (and All Pro), so you might want to focus your energy on something other than pro league bashing if you choose to waste your time hating on CE. Maybe go ruin a kid’s day at the water park by telling him there’s a drought in CA and people all over the world don’t have clean water. Just an idea.

  9. anon said

    June 7, 2017 @ 5:33 am

    Don’t forget the donut death earlier this year too:


  10. ojrifkin said (Registered July 27, 2005)

    June 7, 2017 @ 11:44 am

    There was also the death at a hot dog eating contest in South Dakota in 2014. It appears that there was on-site EMT at that event


  11. anonymous said

    June 7, 2017 @ 1:22 pm

    Obvious that 519 is an advocate of MLE or a ranked member. What you are implying is that CE should be left to the pros . Well guess what? There is no such thing as a pro eater. There is virtually no comparison to the pros in NBA MLB or NFL. Major league eating (laughable) will allow any female off the street to compete in their events and deem them as pros because they signed that stupid contract. It just plain luck that all pro eaters and major league eaters have yet to suffer a fatality. It can happen to anyone . No such thing as a pro eater being more skilled in swallowing or avoiding choking than an amateur is .

  12. Orts on the Table said

    June 7, 2017 @ 2:28 pm

    So very sad.

  13. ojrifkin said (Registered July 27, 2005)

    June 7, 2017 @ 3:02 pm

    A competitor at the 2006 Las Vegas Nathan’s qualifier passed out and had to be removed by stretcher. This was the contest where Joey Chestnut became the first American to hit 50 hot dogs.


    Interestingly, that emergency was not mentioned in the media coverage of the contest; it came out in the Los Angeles Times screenplay blog 7 months after the contest. I wonder if there have been other incidents at MLE contests besides Dale Boone’s jambalaya choking that did not get publicized.

  14. Luck of the non Irish said

    June 7, 2017 @ 4:34 pm

    Totally agree with 1:22.

  15. anonymous said

    June 7, 2017 @ 6:30 pm

    So in that South Dakota death, there were paramedics standing by, yet they still couldn’t save him. Food was too lodged in his throat. Are paramedics allowed to intubate someone on site?

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI

Leave a Comment

Log in | Register | Comments by users who have not logged in will be held for approval