Asian eating challenges and contests category

Kobayashi has posted some entries about his trip to China on his blog. A news video about the contest is also available.

Sugawara repeats as Gluttonous Queen

R Suzuki has a writeups of today’s Gluttonous Queen program on her blog. Hatsuyo “The Witch Sugawara” repeated as champion. Natsuko “Gal” Sone was fifth. The final rounds were held in Australia after taking place in Hawaii in previous years.

Comments (1)

Kobayashi wins Chinese contest

ChinaNews reports Takeru Kobayashi won the contest held in Suzhou, China by eating 164 pieces of salmon sushi in 20 minutes. Kobayashi says in his blog this is the first time he has done contests on consecutive days since the US Open of Competitive Eating. (Pictures from yesterday’s semifinal)

update SouFun.com has some pictures of the finals

Comments (6)

2500sz reports that Kobayashi and Johnny Wu won their semifinal cake eating contests today and will face off in the finals tomorrow. Kobayashi finished his cake in 15 minutes and 34 seconds.

Gluttonous Queen 2009 next weekend

A web page for this year’s Gluttonous Queen contest has been set up on TV Tokyo’s web site. The program will be televised on March 29. Natsuko “Gal” Sone will attempt to regain her title from Hatsuyo “The Witch” Sugawara.

Comments

Kobayashi to compete in Chinese contest March 28/29

Kobayashi’s latest blog entry reports that qualifiers for a Chinese contest he will compete in have been held. Translated Chinese news articles from those competitions are available. The semifinals & finals Kobayashi will compete in will take place on March 28 and 29. Johnny Wu from Hong Kong, who previously competed against Sonya Thomas, is another recipient of a bye into the semifinals.

Comments

JapanToday reports that an entrant in a ramen noodle eating contest was arrested for stealing a rice ball from a convenience store after the competition.

Link Buffet: January 19, 2009

Comments (7)

Link Buffet: December 11, 2008

Comments (1)

Link Buffet: December 9, 2008

Comments (2)

Link Buffet: November 24, 2008

update The Spike’s record challenger broke the store record with 15 hot dogs. Congratulations.

Comments (3)

Indian engineer dies in eating contest

More sad news from Asia. The Times of India reports that Saurav Sabbarwal, a solutions engineer with Nokia Siemens Networking, died after choking in a pastry eating contest held at an office cafeteria in Guragon, India. It is not clear if the contest was pre-planned or an informal competition.

Nokia produced a commercial featuring a competitive eating fan who uses her phone to get contest updates.

update The contest was apparently a company activity and there was no medical supervision present. Mr. Sabbarwal’s family is considering suing Nokia Siemens.
Links: NewKerala, ThaIndian, PTINews

Comments (12)

2001 “TV Champion” Nathan’s qualifier video

A video of the noodle eating contest held on TV Tokyo’s TV Champion to determine who would win a berth in the 2001 Nathan’s finals is available on youtube. Takeru Kobayashi would win the contest and subsequently make history at Coney Island. Kaz Arai, winner of the 2000 Nathan’s finals, is present at the contest. Kobayashi’s latest blog entry is about Arai.

Comments (2)

Link Buffet: November 13, 2008

Comments (10)

Taiwanese student dies in steamed bun contest

The Taipei Times has sad news about a steamed bun eating contest:

An eating contest at a local university ended in tragedy on Wednesday when a graduate student died after participating in a steamed bun eating competition.

Huang Te-hsiang (黃德祥), dean of the student affairs office of Dayeh University in Changhua, said yesterday that a 23-year-old student, surnamed Chen, from the Graduate Institute of Bioindustry Technology could not stop vomiting and fell unconscious after he began to feel uncomfortable during the school’s eating competition on Wednesday.

update ETaiwanNews has more information. An autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause of death.

Comments (4)

Link Buffet: October 21, 2008

Comments (24)

RI pumpkin farm received $10K for US vs. Japan contest

Bloomberg.com has an article about competitive pumpkin growing which says that the Wallace pumpkin farm in Rhode Island received $10,000 from a Japanese game show for hosting a pumpkin eating contest.

Comments

Link Buffet: September 30, 2008

Comments (9)

Nishikawa wins Gluttonous King 2008

R Suzuki has blog entries about the Gluttonous King contest that was televised today on TV Tokyo. Results from the final round:

1. “Doctor” Nishikawa, 33 bowls of noodles in an hour
2. Takuya Yamamoto, 32 bowls
3. Hatsuyo “the Witch” Sugawara, 27 bowls

Nishikawa’s mark breaks the previous record held by the now retired Nobuyuki “the Giant” Shirota.

(I think Nishikawa is an actual medical doctor like Juris Shibayama but am not 100% sure.)

The Gluttonous King home page has pictures of all the finalists which included Mio “Sakura” Takahashi (5th place) and “Essen” (9th place). Natsuko “Gal” Sone and Tomoko Miyake apparently did not compete.

Comments (1)

Link Buffet: September 26, 2008

Comments (10)

Link Buffet: September 24, 2008

Comments (2)

Gluttonous King 2008 web page set up

R Suzuki reports that a web page has been set up for this year’s edition of “Gluttonous King”, which will be televised on September 28. Four finalists are listed: Hatsuyo Sugawara, Takuya Yamamoto, Food Battle Club veteran Dr. Nishikawa and a rookie female. The final rounds will take place in Thailand.

Comments (3)

Link Buffet: September 16, 2008

Comments (3)

Link Buffet: August 24, 2008

Comments (2)

New poll: legitimacy of Japanese TV CE

Recently a television program starring Tomoko Miyake was accused of claiming she ate more than she actually did. The new poll asks how common you think fakery is in televised Japanese competitive eating.

An anonymous account of last year’s pumpkin eating contest in Rhode Island claims additional discrepancies in another program Tomoko Miyake appeared in.

Comments (2)

« Previous Page · Next Page »